Our Historical Highlights
* Founded on 6 August 1969 and incorporated on 19 August 1969.
* Rutland Historical Society Newsletter/Quarterly was founded
in October 1970.
* In 1971 the City of Rutland purchased the small brick church of
the Seventh Day Adventists at 101 Center Street for the use of the
Society. The building had been built in 1825 as the home of the
Bank of Rutland, Rutland’s first bank.
* In 1978 the Society produced Rutland in Retrospect, its
* In 1990 the Society published Early Families of Rutland, Vermont,
a genealogical volume.
* In 1991 the Society published the History of Rutland, Vermont
1761-1861, a topical history of Rutland’s first 100 years.
* On 18 July 1993 the Society officially opened its new home at
96 Center Street in the old Nickwackett Fire Station that was built
* In June 1994 the Society began publishing a new quarterly newsletter,
News From Nickwackett.
* On 10 June 1999 Helen Davidson began a weekly newspaper series
called “Tidbits From Then And Now” in a local weekly newspaper.
* In June of 1999 the Society began its “Historically Speaking”
television series on the Rutland Public Access Channel 15 in Rutland.
The Society produces a new show monthly.
* Website opened February 2005.
Rutland Historical Society By-Laws Rutland Historical Society Policies